It’s Afternoon Tea Week!
From 8th-14th August, the UK is honouring one if its, in our opinion, most wonderful traditions. With flavoursome teas, tasty sandwiches, sweet treats and bubbles aplenty, this really is our kind of celebration!
With its roots in the nineteenth century, when the 7th Duchess of Bedford Lady Anna is said to have complained of a ‘sinking feeling’ in the hours between lunch and dinner, afternoon tea is a wonderful tradition which is a real treat and great way to spend time with loved ones. A woman after our own hearts, Lady Anna sparked this wonderful idea which has become a curiously British tradition.
Here are Sweetpea’s top tips for hosting your own afternoon tea…ooh la la
1. Have plenty of cake stands and tiers to display your wonderful creations
2. Serve tea in a glass or china pot as these won’t react with the flavours like some metallic pots do
3. Don’t be shy, be creative with the decor and colours to make your afternoon tea stand out!
4. Remember to cut the crusts! Traditional afternoon tea includes delicate finger sandwiches, to achieve this look remove the crust from the bread before preparing your sandwiches
We have also handpicked our top four afternoon tea spots in London, for you to take inspiration from or visit and indulge!
1. Sketch, 9 Conduit St, W1S 2XG
2. The Ritz, 150 Piccadilly, W1J 9BR
3. Mad Hatters Afternoon Tea at the Sanderson Hotel, 50 Berners St, W1T 3NG
4. Claridges, Brook St, W1K 4HR
Get the look:
1. Ceramic Bunny Rabbit Plate, 2. Eichholtz Dining Chair Louis Philip, 3. Eichholtz Cake Stand Giorgio, 4. Curved Glass Jar, 5. Balham Mirrored Tray, 6. Candy Stripe Cups and Saucers, 7. Classical White Circular Table, 8. Eichholtz Versailles Oval Tray, 9. Eichholtz Nova Chandelier, 10. Eichholtz Cake Standard with Glass, 11. Eichholtz Chandelier La Coupole, 12. Gold Spot Green Mint Mugs, 13. Louis XV Dining Table, 14. Mesh Dome Stand, 15. Penrose Bee Napkin Holders, 16. Eichholtz Royal Champagne Cooler, 17. The Ivy Drinks Trolley, 18. Etched Glass Jar
À la prochaine!.X
Top image source: The Ritz London