With noticeably darker mornings and evenings as many of us embark on our commutes, it means we now need to find an alternative to the natural sunlight. The bright side of shorter days and longer nights? The time to indulge in dreamy and cosy Autumnal lighting pieces to beat those seasonal blues! From making a statement with contemporary ceiling lights to adding that subtle glow with table lamps, check out our collection of opulent lighting pieces, as well as our top tips for making the most of them in your living space.
Typically the main source of light in a room, a ceiling light, is also often the statement lighting piece, so there’s no need to shy away from large, state-of-the-art chandeliers and pendants. Ceiling lights are key to creating a warm and inviting ambience as they provide general, dispersed light to help anchor and define the theme of your room. If you have a high ceiling, make the most of the space with a brilliant handing chandelier or a classic, minimal pendant.
BEDSIDE / TABLE LAMPS
Bedside and table lamps are a great source of light designed for illuminating darker corners of a room or for adding a subtle glow whilst you wind down after a long day. They are great space savers designed to conveniently fit on small tables and surfaces without occupying too much space. This kind of lighting creates an ambience of warmth and intimacy, and can really enhance your interior design.
Wall lights are accent lights crafted to highlight and draw attention to certain features of your home. This could be a fabulous piece of art, the general architecture of a room, or they could also be used to light the way in a corridor or stairway. Accent lights can add an air of effortless sophistication to your home, as often used in museums and historical buildings for displaying priceless masterpieces. Wall lights are instrumental in creating a relaxing atmosphere your home deserves.
FLOOR STANDING LIGHTS
Floor lamps produce beautifully ambient light and are an incredibly stylish way of brightening a room. They tend to be tall with slender legs or bases so they can be fitted around your furniture and are often heavier, so you don’t have to worry so much about them falling over or being knocked down. Floor lighting is also a great alternative for overhead lighting that can sometimes be quite intense, perfect for adding a subtle ambience to a small space or reading nook.
LIGHTING TOP TIPS
Here is some advice for making the most of the lighting in your living spaces!
- Make it bright. You can never really have too much light. It is always better to have more than less and a dimmer bulb can solve the problem of lighting appearing too intense.
- Make it welcoming. A well-lit hallway or entrance will make your home feel welcoming and especially inviting on gloomy days.
- Make it functional. A chandelier over your sink or a small side lamp as the main source of light in a large room might not be the best way to light up the space. Think about what is most practical and functional for your home and also take into consideration the design of a room.
- Make it proportionate. Consider the size of the lighting piece you are purchasing and how it will fill your space. Make sure you double-check the dimensions in the specifications on our website and compare them to your home.
- Make it you! Ultimately, you have to feel at home in your living space and the best way to do that is to choose lighting that reflects you and your taste.